Monday, August 23, 2010

I need advice! Help!?

I have just finished my first term of college. About 2 months ago, I developed a weird sleeping pattern. My roommate is gone at her boyfriend's most nights, and when she's gone I found myself awake at 4 or 5 in the morning, despite having 8 o'clock classes. When I did sleep, I'd wake up in sweat and panicking. The nights my roommate was there, I was able to fall asleep around 1 or so but she'd tell me that I'd wake her up by screaming ';don't'; or ';no'; in my sleep. She also told me that I rolled around and moaned a lot. I'd be out at parties Thurs - Sat night and would be out till 3 or 4 but wouldn't always come home alone, if I even came home. Those nights I was able to get about 5 hours of sleep, only because of being with someone and being intoxicated. I would often sleep in class or crash at my computer in the afternoon. Sleeping only became worse about a month ago when I ruptured my achilles tendon. With the pain and the cast, sleeping became almost impossible. The pain meds would cause me to pass out, but I would still wake up panicked and drenched in swaet. Lately, I haven't been able to get any sleep. I'll lie in bed all night, and am only able to sleep when the suns out. I often sleep in the afternoon (2-3 hours), but I can't at night. With the new term starting soon, I need to be able to sleep at night.


What's going on? Why can't I sleep at night? Why do I wake up panicked and drenched in sweat? Why can't I sleep alone? I either need to be with someone or be texting someone while I fall asleep to get sleep. How can I fix this? Also, how can I make sleeping with my cast on easier?


I can't go off of 3 hours of sleep any more, I'm starting to look awful.I need advice! Help!?
You should definitely see a doctor, who will likely tell you that you have a panic disorder, and will prescribe you a sleeping aid to help you sleep more regularly, or an anti anxiety drug, which will help you feel less anxious while you sleep. The disorder was likely brought on by the transition to college... you're used to having family in the house near you all night as you slept, and now there are only strangers (sometimes! when they're not at their boyfriend's place). I had a LOT of difficulty sleeping on weekends that my roommate when home (I stayed at school and worked most weekends). Ultimately, my doctor put me on prozac to help me feel less stressed out and anxious about everything, and it helped.





There's no way of sleeping easily in a cast... sorry :-\ when I had my cast, I'd have a nightcap of irish cream every night to get me sleepy enough to overcome the uncomfortable sensation.I need advice! Help!?
Dear Panda,


At this age and stage your main concern should be your studies and nothing else.


By deviating from your core area of studies,you are diecting your energies on something else which is disturbing you.


Just concentrate on your career and you will be fine very soon.


Regards,


Shashi Bhushan Sharma

No comments:

Post a Comment