Saturday, August 21, 2010

Any advice/help for a two day hike with overnight camp?

For those of you who are English, I am doing my Duke of Edinburgh bronze walk, Americans - this is an award scheme thing in the UK, and for part of it you have to do a two day hike with overnight camp.





My school has been rubbish in organizing this. We are going the week after next, and we were only just told we have had no practice, no training, no preparation, nothing. I don;t know what to take with me, or what to expect, and I'm kind of freaking out! My family never go on walks, and I'm pretty unfit, to be honest, so I'm getting really nervous! Also,I don;t have any kit, like walking trousers/boots etc, and I'm really small so i'm worried I won't be able to carry all the really heavy stuff!





Sorry, I know I am probably freaked about nothing, but I really have no idea what to expect, and I've never done this kind of thing before, so advice/help/reassurance would be really appreciated!Any advice/help for a two day hike with overnight camp?
Sleeping bag, water, high-protein snacks, stuff for dinner, hygiene products ( hand soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, deodorant )





Really just common sense things. Make sure to bring plenty of water. For dinner wise find something easy to make, assuming you have a camp fire or heating source, such as instant noodles, ie: Top Ramen and the sort. Bring power bars, GOOD shoes. And wear comfortable clothes.





It's not like you're roughing it, you'll be with plenty of people it sounds like, so you should be fine. If you're down, bring an iPod, or better yet a CD player, that way you can bring extra batteries. Oh, also bring bug repellent, and possibly a knife.





OTHER than those, really anything you want. You won't be gone long, so don't overpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment