Tuesday, November 22, 2011

HEPA LAW QUESTION ....Advice & Help, please.?

A few months ago, my husband and I took our 2 year old daughter to the local ER. Because we couldn't get a sitter,


we brought our 3 year old, as well. The registration desk only asked my husband to sign our daughter in. He did. Normally, that wouldn't have been a problem. However, the hospital did not record any of the information off our insurance cards. So,


several bills arrived in my daughter's name. I opened them and called the places to provide them with insurance info.


They wouldn't even talk to me or take the information to bill


the insurance because I wasn't my daughter. I explained that she is only 2 and a half years old. They still wouldn't do anything because of the HEPA Law. I went back there and showed them her birth certificate and my photo id and the insurace info, still they said they couldn't discuss anything with me. Ideas or advice on what to do, please?HEPA LAW QUESTION ....Advice %26amp; Help, please.?
Sounds like something got transposed on her paperwork that is not reflecting her age.





I would suggest calling the billing department, again explaining the problem. If they do not answer our question ask to speak to the head of the department or departmental manager. HIPPA Laws are a bite on the butt for health care - they are great for protecting privacy, but when an error occurs they make it a nightmare to correct because of not releasing information. Be calm, and work your way up the chaing. You know there is an error, but the person on the other end of the phone opr across the counter has been confronted by numerous people over the years who were not always as honest.HEPA LAW QUESTION ....Advice %26amp; Help, please.?
Get the hospital financial office on the line and explain it to them; and probaby have to get the hospital administrative office on the line as well. The front desk is not the answer.
Its HIPPA, and that sounds like something the insurance companies pull. The hospital needs to resubmit the claims with you listed as the policyholder and her as a dependent, or have your husband call the insurance company.
I WOULD CALL AND ASK FOR A MANAGER-THEN I WOULD EXPLANE TO THEM THAT YOUR DAUGHTER IS 2. IF THEY GIVE YOU A HARD TIME, WELL HAND THE PHONE TO YOUR DAUGHTER! (LOL) GOOD LUCK-I WOULD CALL EVERYDAY TO GET THIS RESOLVED. ALSO-THE HIPPA LAW WILL ALLOW THE PARENT ACCESS TO INFORMATION IF THE PATIENT IS A MINOR.
As with many businesses today, insurance, credit cards, banks, credit unions, and the medical area, many of the ';normal'; practices don't work anymore UNLESS they talk to the owner/holder/name of record. Simply have your husband call with the information, since he signed her in.

No comments:

Post a Comment